Summer Fruit Flag Pie
A Summer Beauty!
This SUMMER FRUIT FLAG PIE is inspired by my love of summer fruit and my birthday (July 4). If you're looking for a fun pie to try this summer, look no further. The decorations are easy to make but yield fantastic results! Don't miss the video for extra insight into how this is made.
Summer Fruit Flag Pie
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 7 hours
Yield: 8–10 servings
Homemade or store-bought pie crust (enough for 2 9-inch pies)
½ cup granulated sugar, plus more if needed to sweeten blackberries/blueberry mixture
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup blueberries
1 cup blackberries
2 cups chopped strawberries
2 cups halved dark sweet cherries
2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
½ teaspoon almond extract, divided
egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
optional: coarse sugar for sprinkling on crust
1. Make the filling: In a small bowl, stir the granulated sugar and cornstarch together. In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries and blackberries together. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries and cherries together. Stir ¼ cup of cornstarch mixture into blueberries/blackberries. Stir remaining cornstarch mixture into strawberries/cherries. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to each fruit mixture. Place in the refrigerator for a few moments as you roll out the crust.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work surface, roll out one of the pie crusts (if using homemade dough). Store-bought dough is normally already rolled out. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish.
4. Fold the aluminum foil several times to form a 2-inch wide strip. Place into crust, dividing it into 1/3 and 2/3 sections as seen in video.
5. Spoon strawberry filling into large section, leaving any excess liquid in the bowl. Spoon blueberry filling into smaller section. Discard the excess liquid. Place the pie in the refrigerator until top design is ready.
6. Design the flag: Roll the second pie crust into a circle that is about 12 inches. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut 4 strips that are 2 inches wide and 6 inches long. Using your star cookie cutter, cut out stars.
7. Remove the pie from the refrigerator, remove aluminum foil strip, and add top decor to pie. Stars over the blueberries; strips over the strawberries. Trim off excess dough on the sides. Crimp the edges with a fork or flute the edges.
8. Lightly brush the pie crust with the egg wash mixture. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
9. Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Check for browning on top, and if needed, cover with a pie shield or tinfoil to prevent overbrowning the edges or designs. Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
10. Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving. This allows the filling to thicken. Cover leftovers, and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.