What goes perfectly with a magical library where you can have a sleepover and meet your favorite literature characters? Cookie Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Today's Cooking Through Fiction treat is inspired by The Legend of James Grey and the leading lady, Emma, who loves cereal. It's also inspired by a season when flour is difficult to find. What can we use when flour isn't on the shelf or is backordered for weeks? CEREAL!
I had a box of Cookie Crisp (childhood favorite), so I ground it and replaced the flour in my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (another childhood favorite) with Cookie Crisp flour! Weird? Maybe. Delicious? Oh yeah!
“Emma figured she could keep eating like she had when she was in college for at least a few more years, surviving on cheese crackers, kids cereals, and microwavable meals. Maybe one of these days she’d mature into cooking more adult meals that required the stove or an oven, but then maybe she wouldn’t.
“Morty made a dismissive noise in his throat. 'Your diet is atrocious.’
“Emma shrugged. 'Everyone my age eats garbage. It’s what we do.’
“Morty opened his paper sack. 'I’m not sure you’re a poster girl for what kids your age do.’” —Excerpt from The Legend of James Grey
Cookie Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups light brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons molasses (not blackstrap)
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt (use ¾ teaspoon if using table salt)
10 ounces your favorite chocolate bar, roughly chopped, or chips
How to Make
1. Melt ½ cup (1 stick) butter. Let cool.
2. Grind enough Cookie Crisp cereal to make 2 ¼ cups.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, remaining ½ cup softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla, water, molasses, salt, and baking soda. Turn the mixer on low to combine all of the ingredients and then raise to medium and beat for 1 minute until smooth.
4. Stop and give your bowl a scrape and beat for another few seconds until completely combined.
5. Add one of the eggs and beat on medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the second egg, beating again on medium speed. The mixture will resemble thin caramel sauce.
6. Scrape down the bowl and paddle and add the Cookie Crisp flour and all-purpose flour to the bowl, mixing on low until the flour is completely combined. Take the bowl off the stand mixer and use a spatula to stir in the chopped chocolate.
7. Cover dough lightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill about 2 hours until firm, or up to overnight.
8. When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 375*F and line two cookie sheets with parchment. Place the cookie dough portions 2” apart on the trays and flatten the dough balls just slightly.
9. Bake for 11–14 minutes, until the edges are set and the centers have puffed. Cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
One night after the library has closed, Emma Chase hears voices coming from the archives section, and she unexpectedly entangles herself in the long-held secrets of the library’s magic.
The Legend of James Grey is available in paperback and for all ereaders.