Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are inspired by Karen Hawkins' A Cup of Silver Linings. Perfectly sweetened and tender with a sprinkling of coarse sugar, these muffins will brighten up any morning with their zesty lemon flavor and crunch of poppy seeds.
Yield: 12 muffins
Bake time: 15 minutes
Cooling time: 15 minutes
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups plain whole milk yogurt or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease or line 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Gently fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in melted butter. Do not overmix.
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with sugar, if using. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
5. Allow muffins to rest in tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool compl