Key Lime Donuts
Key Lime Donuts! Lots of zesty, zingy lime flavor and topped with more zest and crushed graham crackers. If you can't find key limes, use regular limes! QOTD: What is your favorite summer flavor?
Key Lime Donuts
For the Key Lime Donuts:
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime zest
¼ cup buttermilk, room temp
1 large egg, room temp
3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Key Lime Glaze:
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons key lime juice
Green & yellow food coloring
Garnish: graham cracker crumbs, lime zest
For the Key Lime Coconut Donuts:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a donut pan; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine, sugar and lime zest until zest is evenly distributed in the sugar. Add in buttermilk, egg, lime juice, and oil and whisk.
4. Add in the dry ingredients and gently fold the mixture together using a rubber spatula, stirring only until mixture is evenly combined.
5. Divide the thick batter evenly among the molds of your prepared pan, filling each mold 2/3 full. Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden on the tops.
6. Remove pan from oven and allow donuts to cool for at least 10 minutes in the tray before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, combine juice and sugar, and whisk to combine. If the glaze appears too thick, add a little more lime juice until desired consistency is achieved; if glaze appears too thin, add a little more confectioners’ sugar.
8. Dip cooled donuts in the glaze. Garnish with graham cracker crumbs and lime zest. Let rest for 5 minutes, then enjoy!